This year, rabbits were my only animal exhibited at fair. So, of course, I participated in the rabbit show. As I was doing showmanship, a Mini Rex, and two market rabbits, my show times were first thing and right at the end. Definitely not the most pleasant timing, especially with an 8 hour rabbit show. That's right – 8 hours long. I started off the day scared to death about showmanship. I'm an intermediate, and was competing against kids with way more experience than I had. My sister, a junior, competed before me, and to our surprise, won third place. Considering she was against mainly experienced kids, that was great! So, I sucked up my worry and headed out to the arena. It felt like forever before I showed my bunny, but after I did I was a mess. I had forgotten a few key aspects, but tried to keep my cool. And then my rabbit peed on me. Yep. He peed on me, all dressed in my whites. Finally, because of the heat, the judges let us bring the bunnies back to their cages. I won't lie — I was on the verge of tears. My rabbit had peed all over me, I thought I had failed, and it was 95 degrees. I ended up winning 4th place, to my obvious surprise. I was pleased, but not ready for Mini Rex judging. I entered the arena with my bunny in my arms, and before I knew it I was walking back to his cage, dropping him off. As soon as I could, I rushed back to the tack room, where my friends and I waited 5 or so hours before the Market Rabbit portion began. After the day was over, I was exhausted, and wanted nothing but to go home. However, when I woke up in the morning, I was happy. Weird, right? Anyways, I was finally feeling something other than tired and cranky. Would I do it again? Yeah, probably. Unless they have the same judges (who took eight hours to get through maybe 80 rabbits?!). Then I wouldn't. Even though it sounds like I had a terrible time, I enjoyed myself overall, and would definitely recommend you do it too!
Record books are one of the most dreaded things for any 4Her. But there's plenty of ways to make the whole process easier. A record book is a book that records everything you've done during the year that relates to 4H or to its virtues. That includes projects, leadership, community service, and more. Here's a few tips: 1) If you are an intermediate or senior member who has to do LDRs (Leadership Reports), make your Pre Reports at the beginning of the year (this is how it's supposed to be, but lots of people don't do it that way). 2) Each month, sit down and fill in everything you've done this month. That means recording what you did in project meetings, what Community Service, Leadership, Communication Skills, Events, and more activities you did or attended. 3) As soon as the 4H year ends, fill in your Post LDRs, make your Expression Pages, and write your 4H Story, as well as any other thing that needs to be done besides tallying. 4) About a week before y...
Comments
Post a Comment