Hey guys! Here's a few tips for fair I guess. This year was my first fair showing my own animals (last year I was a part of a co-op that brought goats, but it was very different), and I found most of these to be super helpful!
- Prepare everything in advance. We were scrambling to make sure we had everything we needed, and it definitely made the experience more stressful.
- Bring an extra set of your whites (white outfit that you wear during the shows) — I had an incident (my rabbit peed on me) during an 8 hour rabbit show in the blazing sun, and I didn't have extra whites, which definitely made it less enjoyable
- If it's exceptionally hot, like our fair was, be sure to cool down your animals! For rabbits, you can freeze water bottles and put them in their cage (don't use ice packs because they can contain things inside that are dangerous). There were some issues with other people's animals (especially rabbits).
- Wear comfortable clothes in the morning (I wore pajamas or sweats) but bring clothes to change into later on. At our fair, you have to clean your animal's pen/cage every morning and are assigned to cleaning a certain part of the barn, so wear clothes you don't care about.
- Keep yourself and your animal(s) hydrated! This seems obvious, but it actually makes a huge difference! Fair can be stressful for both of you, as well as very hot, and the last thing you want is to get sick. Plus, it can help make the animal heavier, which means it sells for more. Overall, it's a win-win.
That's all I have for now, but if anyone else has any tips let me know! Again, this was my first real fair, so I'm in now way a pro.
Comments
Post a Comment